Based in Santa Monica, CA
28 May, 2015
Windows on Steam
Homesick is a puzzle mystery exploration game, with a first person perspective in a richly detailed and atmospheric 3D world. Explore an abandoned building, encountering puzzles and clues as the story unfolds. You seem to have been there so long that direct sunlight is blindingly bright, at home in the serene but foreboding atmosphere. But when you sleep, you are plagued by nightmares, frantically running down hallways chased by darkness, an axe in hand. Find the remnants of the building’s inhabitants to discover who you are, what happened, and what you need to do, as you try to escape in both your nightmares and the waking world. Incredible live-instrument original score included free with game download.
Lucky Pause is an indie video game company, launched in late 2012, with the goal of making our first game, Homesick. At that point, Barrett had worked for 8 years as a 3D artist in video game cinematics, and wanted to bring that quality of art to games that were more meaningful to him. Homesick explores themes of acceptance, both of oneself and our experiences, in the context of often overwhelming problems in the world; figuring out how to continue to grow when the world is falling apart around you. Homesick was made possible by a successful Kickstarter campaign in January, 2013, raising over three times our goal, and was greenlit by the community on Steam in June, 2013. Lucky Pause is a two-person team. Barrett Meeker did basically all the game development himself, from concept to programming to art and everything in between, working on Homesick full-time for the past two and a half years. Morgan helps out with communications, additional writing, testing, and ideas. We were lucky to find the amazing Heather Schmidt to compose an original score, and a few other talented friends to help with additional sound effects and character sculpting.
- hauntingly beautiful and atmospheric 3D environment
- innovative yet straight-forward puzzles that are satisfyingly challenging
- a day time world and a nighttime world, each with different game play; solve puzzles in one world to effect the other
- the story unfolds through solving puzzles, finding clues, exploration, decoding text, and unlocking new areas
- includes content submitted by Kickstarter backers
- beautiful live-instrument original score, which is included free with game download as an mp3 album
- impressively created almost entirely by just one person, doing all the environment art, programming, and game design
Release Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
- "a gorgeous three-dimensional piece of art, storytelling and interaction that will likely appeal to anyone who loved Gone Home or Dear Esther."
- Colin Campbell, Polygon
- "absolutely stunning"
- Adam Dodd, Bloody Disgusting
- "hauntingly beautiful"
- Raymond W., Game Skinny
Our Kickstarter campaign kickstarter.com.
About Lucky Pause
Lucky Pause is an indie video game company, dedicated to creating unique, personal games, richly detailed and atmospheric. We believe in video games as art, and we hope to create games that offer insight, new perspectives, and emotional and thought-provoking adventures.
More information on Lucky Pause, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Music Scoring Mixer
Additional Sound Effects
Additional Character Sculpting
Additional Character Sculpting